Regulations on part time work

Photo: Study Bergen

Regulations on part time work

Written by: Study Bergen

Photo: Study Bergen

If you are granted a study permit in Norway, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week.

You can also work full time during holidays. You can apply for a permit to work full-time for parts of the academic year if the work is relevant to your studies. You have to request this in writing when you apply, or later. Remember that you can lose your permit if you work more than your permit entitles you to.

The permit is not specified with respect to the type of employment and it is permitted to have several employers, You don´t need to document that you have a contract. When you apply for a renewal of your student permit, the part time work permit is not automatically renewed. In order to get it renewed, you need to enclose a statement from your education provider stating whether work will be a disadvantage to the progress of your studies.

EU/EEA/EFTA nationals have the right to take up to 50% employment. Any accompanying family member is granted a general permit to take employment.

Aditional information from the Career Center:

  • If you are planning to stay in Norway for more than 6 months you will be given a personal identification number (fødselsnummer in Norwegian) by the Norwegian Tax Administration. Meet in person at your local tax office where they will register you as a resident in Norway.
  • If your stay is shorter than 6 months, you will be given a D-number.
  • Once you have got your ID-number, you can open a bank account. Meanwhile you should apply for jobs. Search through the ads in the local newspapers, print out copies of your CV and an open application letter and give them out to potential employers directly.
  • When you receive a job-offer, you can go on applying for a tax card. Hand in the tax deduction card or free tax card* to your employer
  • *Free tax card: apply for this card if you are not planning on earning more than 50 000 NOK per year (in 2015).
  • NB! Do not start the process of opening a bank account and applying for a tax card at the same time. You will then end up with two ID-numbers!


Read more:


Follow us